Home insurance is essential to keeping your house covered against several unforeseen risks and dangers such as fire, theft, burglary, natural calamities, and other similar risks. Just as you protect your health with health insurance and your vehicle with motor insurance, your home deserves to be protected with a well-designed home insurance policy. Besides having thorough knowledge about the inclusions and exclusions of your policy, it is important to be informed about the claim process as well.
In this article, we will guide you through the general claim process of a home insurance policy.
We would like to point out that the claim process may differ from insurer to insurer. The following is a general step-wise representation of how a claim would ideally go.
Contact your Home Insurance Provider
As soon as you face a calamity that necessitates a claim, you must contact your home insurance provider through the toll-free number provided to you. Inform them accurately about the damages and ask them what steps you need to take next.
In the case of housebreaking, theft, larceny, or breakage of insured items, inform the insurer about the items that have been stolen/damaged by the unfortunate event. It helps to keep photographic evidence of the scene.
Submit the Required Documents
Based on the information you have provided, your home insurance provider will request the corresponding documents. You may submit these documents along with the duly-filled claims form. Depending on the event that has occurred, you may be required to submit the following:
- Rent agreement papers (if you are a tenant)
- Repair bills and invoices
- Hospital bills in case of harm to any inhabitants
- Report submitted by the fire brigade (in case of fire)
- Invoices of the damaged/stolen items when they were purchased
- Proof of court summons
- Address proof, ID proof
Appointment of the Surveyor
Now that the insurer has all the information and documents, they will send a surveyor to the house to inspect and assess the damages claimed.
Based on the assessment and the terms and conditions of your home insurance policy, your claim will be reviewed for approval. In case of approval, the reimbursement process shall begin and you shall be compensated for the damages in due time. You must be completely honest to avoid facing a rejection on your claim.
Do note: While it is important to look at the financial aspects of the damage, it is equally critical to ensure that you and your loved ones are safe. If your house has caught fire or been robbed, chances are that the inhabitants would be in a state of panic. So, make sure that everything is alright on that front before beginning the claim process on your home insurance.
Important Tips to Ensure Smooth Claim Settlement
- In certain cases, like theft or burglary, you must file a police complaint immediately. Your claim will not be processed in this scenario if an FIR has not been lodged.
- In cases of damage due to fire or a natural calamity, you can try to record the damage if possible. Once you are safe, you can take photos or videos so that the insurer gets a precise understanding of the event that has occurred and the damages that it has caused.
- It would be equally helpful if you have a list and photos of the valuable items in your house that is kept updated on an annual basis.
- Ensure that the invoice for each valuable item is stored safely and is accessible so that you can reach for it easily when you are raising a claim on your home insurance policy.
As mentioned before, the claim process may differ from insurer to insurer, along with the different components involved in the process. You are advised to contact your insurer before filing for a claim on your home insurance policy.